Thursday, February 3, 2011

Adiding Mom....

I have dealt with perfectionist blues for years as a mother with children.  I am much better than what I used to be a decade ago.  But still need improvement.  The area I strive to be perfect is in the cleanliness and order of my home.  I GET MY PANTIES IN A WAD when my house is not looking acceptable in my eyes.  You know that saying....If mama aint happy, no ones happy!  That is my 'reality' motto...AND I so don't want to live out that selfish motto any longer!  Living with 6 children and a dh in one home does not equal a perfect looking home.  I found this chart that I am printing out and placing all over the house to encourage me when my house isn't looking like a model home.

Super Mom
Abiding Mom
Does
Tries to impress others
Pleases the Lord (Eph. 5:10, Proverbs 29:25)
Is controlled by an agenda (curriculum, schedule, etc)
Is controlled by the Holy Spirit: (Gal. 5:22-26) (Uses curriculum & schedules as tools for orderliness so she's more free to follow the spirit)
Her self worth is found in her accomplishments (clean house, perfect kids, the perfect bulletin boards, etc.)
Her self worth is found in an accurate view of who she is in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:10)
Her peace is found in the “perfect” environment
Her peace is found in Jesus in the midst of any storm (Is 26:3)
She is discouraged by failure
Failure reminds her that God's strength is made perfect in weakness (2 Cor. 12:9-10)
She expects perfection from herself and others
She practices grace with herself and others (Eph 4:32)
She teaches her kids to be good
She teaches her kids to be Godly (Proverbs 22:6)
She is frustrated with her lack of spiritual fruit
She abides in Christ and bears much fruit (John 15:5)
She does things with her children
She builds a relationship with her children (Deut 6:6-7)
Her perspective is based on what is seen
Her perspective is based on what is unseen (Col 3:2)
She chooses quantity of activities
She chooses the most excellent Way (I Cor 13


Thanks to Abiding Mom for putting together this constant reminder that I can have freedom and joy in Him alone, not by being a super mom with a model home.  It's all in my attitude.

Click here for a printable for your home.

I want to be an ABIDING MOM, what about you?


1 comment:

  1. From another mom who suffers from perfectionist blues: I need to post this chart as well - I'm ready to be an abiding mom!

    ReplyDelete

My prayer is that you have been blessed in some way by my words. Thanks for leaving me a comment!