Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Love Your Enemies

Honestly, I have tried to stay low out of the media responses to the death of Bin Laden.  I had to come to terms and truly ponder my thoughts in regards to his death from a spiritual insight rather than from this secular world.  I was hastily confused because the old me was screaming, "Yay, you finally got what was coming to you for numerous years!"  Well actually I was not utilizing those exact terms in my mind, but I have vowed to keep this blog family friendly, so you will have to use your imagination on my interjections.  However, I continued to feel a prick in my heart every time I glimpsed of the death of America's Most Wanted.  Is this truly how my Lord wants me to respond to this enemy's death?

After seeking scripture this morning, The Spirit revealed His truth to me in Matthew 5: 43-48


43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, [8] what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

By no means am I not supporting America's decision.  I am a proud American and feel extremely blessed to have courageous men and women who are and have willingly fought diligently for the protection of our country while I marvel at home with my children trying to pick out the best homeschool curriculum for next year.  

However, I'm disturbed with Americas reaction to the whole thing.  I received several responses via email and through facebook that I refuse to engage in.   Disturbing Youtube videos on his gruesome death.  I actually saw on the news that people were making and buying T-shirts with horrific Bin Laden logos.  And a lot of these responses were from people who claim to be Christians. I'm saddened by the ungodly responses.  I pray that the Spirit will instill Matthew 5 in my heart and to all the Americans who are simply lacking the tact and righteousness that Jesus commands us to promote. Love our Enemies.

Yes, it is an inhuman act for me to love my enemies, especially when he hurt so many, but if the Spirit lives in me, I must seek him for discernment and wisdom in the difficult task of loving my enemy.  After all, we are all sinners!

Admittedly, I realized that I have never prayed specifically for Bin Laden.  Never!  I never prayed for his heart to change and for him to seek Jesus.   Lord, please forgive me.  I am seeking mercy and forgiveness for my ungodly attitude towards my enemy.  May you find the peace and comfort in loving your enemies.  It is a huge challenge for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My prayer is that you have been blessed in some way by my words. Thanks for leaving me a comment!